Yotam Ottolenghi’s Savory Green Pancakes with Lime Butter2016-06-13
Comforting pancakes, fluffy and delicious, for a perfect Mediterranean brunch, from one of my favorite chefs, Yotam Ottolenghi
About this recipeI find this recipe an ideal treat for a nice Sunday Brunch, or a light diner with someone you love, or simply a gourmet afternoon snack !
British Chef Ottolenghi says about this recipe "this brought a lot of compliments after I published it in 2008".
I tried it, and all I can say is it's a great recipe that all my guests for the Sunday brunch love...
I initially cooked those pancakes for friends who are veggie eaters, and all I can say is I became addicted to it ! This became a recipe that I cook a few times a year, a real simple treat every time
Source of the recipeI found this great and easy recipe in the book "Plenty" of Yotam Ottolenghi.
To purchase online, see HERE
Yotam Ottolenghi is a british chef born in Jerusalem.
I like his cuisine as it brings a distinctive mix of Middle Eastern flavors (Israeli, Turkish, Lebanese and Armenian) with a western twist. Sort of a European and middle-eastern fusion !
The book "plenty" is a bible for vegetarians. Veggie dishes can be delicious and the book proves it !
Modifications to the original recipeI modified only a few things...
The Lime Butter
Butter(½ Cup or 113 g) in a bowl. Let it soften at room temperature for
30 minutesor more
2. I recommend using organic Lime as we are going to use the zest
3. Wash the
4. To grate the
Lime Zest(1), my favorite zester tool is the "microplane"
5. Do not grate the fruit on the zester
6. Instead, grate the zester on the fruit, this will ensure you are not grating the white skin which is bitter
7. Grate the zest, and then squeeze the
Lime Juice(1 ½ tablespoons)
Butter(½ Cup or 113 g), The
Lime Zest(1), The
Lime Juice(1 ½ tablespoons), The
Salt(¼ teaspoon), The
White Pepper(½ teaspoon), The
Coriander leaves (cilantro)(1 tablespoon), The
Garlic Clove(1), The
Chile Flakes (Crushed red pepper(¼ teaspoon)
12. Mix all this together
14. Twist the ends of the wrap to seal
15. Hold the ends, and roll to tighten : This is what you should get
16. Place in the refrigerator
The Spinach Pancakes
19. Squeeze hard on the leaves to remove as much water as possible (as you don't want your pancakes to turn soggy)
20. Even though Ottolenghi doesn't mention it, I transfer the leaves onto cold water (to preserve the color)
21. Roughly chop the
Spinach Leaveswith a knife
Butter(¼ Cup or 57 g)
23. In a mixing bowl, place: the
Flour(⅔ Cup or 90 g), the
Baking Powder(1 Tablespoon or 12 g), The
Butter(¼ Cup or 57 g), the
Salt(½ teaspoon), the
Cumin(½ teaspoon or 2 g), the
Milk(⅔ Cup or 157 g)
24. Whisk together with a fork or with a wire whip
25. Dice the
Green Onions ('Scallions')(6)
Egg Whites(2) : you don't want to over mix it, stop beating at the soft peak stage or you won't be able to incorporate it well into the batter
32. Add the
Egg Whites(2) into the bowl
33. Gently fold the
Egg Whites(2) into the batter, using a hand whisk and then a rubber spatula
34. Do not whisk !!
36. Spray a splash of
37. You may use an ice cream scoop to get the same size across your pancakes and english muffin rings to shape them
38. For the pancakes size : Yottolenghi mentions that pancakes should be about 2.75" (or 2 3/4" or 7 cm) in diameter and 0.39" (or 25/64" or 1 cm) thick.
Suggestions to improve this recipe...Some suggestions for next time...
The 6 other recipes of Brunch
All the Jewish Cuisine recipes
All the Jewish Cuisine recipes are HERE
Cooking with the same Chef ?
All recipes of Yotam Ottolenghi
Cooking with the same ingredients ?
What else to cook with Cumin
What else to cook with Green onion
What else to cook with Hot peppers
Jacquy Pfeiffer’s Christmas Sablés Cookies
Lenôtre’s Chocolate Mousse with the Pâte à bombe technique
Easy and Delicious French Crêpes Recipe
Pierre Hermé’s Flourless Chocolate Cake
Nantua’s Tart (Rhubarb Raspberry)
Philippe Conticini’s Rhubarb Tart
Claire Heitzler’s Rhubarb Strawberry Tart
Michalak’s Gianduja (Italian hazelnut paste)
The Fabulous Baked Alaska with Grand Marnier
Lenôtre’s Pistachio Raspberry Cakes
Stéphane Tréand’s Olive Oil Ice Cream
Qin’s Chinese Chicken Barbecue
Conticini’s Chocolate Pound Cake
French Saint-Michel Cookies
French Madeleines Recipe
Julia Child’s French Escargots
Julia’s Child 3 Chocolates Queen of Sheba (reine de saba)
Paul Bocuse’s Boeuf Bourguignon
Thomas Keller’s Dog Treats
The Bilbao Brunch
Julia Child’s Leek Quiche (“flamiche”)
Pierre Hermé’s Pistachio Ice Cream
Pierre Hermé’s Orange and Grand Marnier Crepes
The 10 Best Things I Consumed In 2019
Mon petit four
French Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Thin, Crisp Chocolate Chip Cookies
Black Bean Nachos