A delicious Californian Burger, healthier, tastier for the SoCal gourmets
About this recipe
This is more than a traditional burger, this is a healthier and more delicious Gourmet Burger!
Absolutley everybody, from Westwood snooty gourmets, to famous Hollywood stars, to free style surfers, to silicon beach programmers, to Muscle Beach bodybuilders love this burger : A homemade bun, a turkey patty cooked in a way that keeps it moist and juicy, avocado, roasted peppers, chipotle ketchup, etc...
A burger that is more delicious and healthier... Let's do it together !
Let's go to Venice Beach
If you are looking for a nice lunch or diner, I recommend you to go to the 'Abbot Kinney boulevard'
If you walk along the beach, you will discover the originality and relaxed atmosphere of South California
In Venice, people come to surf, to relax on the beach, walk on the 'strand', ride, and soak some sun
Here, skaters are dancing on the Hip Hop tunes with a nice rythm
And let's not forget sports, which are everywhere in Venice, between Basket ball, Basque Pelota, Paddle tennis and of course Bodybuilding. This is here called "Muscle Beach" that Arnold Schwarzenegger used to come workout
Prepping the meat
1. For the Bunch of Cilantro (0.35 oz or 10 g) : as you may know, the stems are tastier than the leaves : do not discard them!
2. Wash and mince the Bunch of Cilantro (0.35 oz or 10 g)
3. Ground Turkey usually dries up while cooking : to avoid this, we are going to add ingredients to the meat to keep it moist
4. In a large mixing bowl, add: the Turkey ( ½lbs or 230 g), the Bunch of Cilantro (0.35 oz or 10 g), the Milk (1 Tablespoon or 20 g), the Breadcrumbs (½ Cup or 50 g) and the Egg (1)
5. Add in the Salt and the Pepper
6. Mix gently with your hand until homogeneous (you may want to use disposable cook gloves)
7. Wrap airtight, and refrigerate until needed
The rest of the stuff
8. For the Red Bell Pepper (½) : Roast it over a flame, rotating it, until it is blackened
9. Once fully roasted (and blackened), wrap with plastic wrap ans allow to cool down
10. Then unwrap and remove the black skin with a paper towel (comes off easily)
11. Then dice into large strips
12. For the Red Onion (¼): Slice a few rings
13. For the Avocado (½): Peel and slice
Cooking the patties
14. Divide the meat mixture and form balls
15. Warm Vegetable Oil in a frying pan
16. Add the meat balls, and press to obtain patties
17. Cook, flip and cook the other side
18. Once cooked, cover with the Swiss Cheese (2 slices), just a few seconds until the cheese has melted
19. Transfer the meat to a plate
The burger Buns
21. Otherwise, buy buns with the best quality, often found in the "gourmet section" of your local supermarket
22. Toast the buns, face down, in the skillet
Building the burger
23. Time to assemble: I start with the Arugula (0.7 oz or 20 g)
24. Then continue piling the ingredients we prepared
26. Chipotle can be very hot ! Just add a very small quantity and adjust if needed
27. I like to serve the burger with the top bun on the side, just to brag about the nice, colorful quality ingredients
That's it! Not complicated, and a real Californian gourmet burger !!