A perfect accompaniment to virtually any dessert, a recipe of... the perfect French Pastry master Pierre Hermé !
About this recipe
"Crème anglaise" is a vanilla custard that is a delicious "sweet sauce", used as accompaniment to any dessert : cakes, pies, etc...
And this recipe is a top one, from my master Pierre Hermé
I tried about a dozen different recipes, and this one is my favorite
Who doesn't like vanilla custard ?? You will love this recipe !!
Source of the recipe
This is a recipe that I found in Pierre Hermé's book "Secrets Gourmands"
A must-read book if you love French pastry!
My dog and I spent hours on it last Saturday...
The recipe is on page 127
Modifications to the original recipe
I modified only a few things...
● I divided the quantities by 2
● I add more Milk (1 ⅓ Cup or 300 g) and reduce the quantity of Cream (1 Cup or 200 g) to make the cream lighter
1. Scrape the seeds loose from the Vanilla Beans (2), using the point or edge of a knife
2. If you don't have a vanilla bean, you may substitute with a teaspoon of vanilla paste
3. In a small, heavy saucepan, pour the Milk (1 ⅓ Cup or 300 g), the Cream (1 Cup or 200 g) and Vanilla Beans (2) seeds
4. Heat the saucepan on medium heat
5. Your Egg Yolks (6) must be very fresh
6. Whisk together the Egg Yolks (6) and the Sugar (½ Cup or 100 g) until smooth
7. Heat the saucepan until bubbles form at edges
8. Remove from heat
9. Let the saucepan cool down for 10 minutes off the heat
10. Take the vanilla pods out of the saucepan
11. Pour half of the hot mix on the bowl with the Egg Yolks (6) and the Sugar (½ Cup or 100 g)
12. Whisk constantly
13. Slowly pour this hot milk mixture back into the saucepan with the rest of the hot liquid
14. Continue to cook, stirring constantly
15. If you have a thermometer, you need to check the temperature
16. Remove from heat when temperature reaches 185 °F / 85 °C
17. If you don't have a thermometer, you will cook until the mixture coats the back of the spatula
18. Once off the heat, Hermé recommends to wait 4 minutes, and then to pour the custard into a clean bowl
19. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic against the custard
20. Place the beauty in the refrigerator for 24 hours
Such a delicious vanilla custard...
Try it to get a taste of heaven...