Pierre Hermé’s Pistachio Ice Cream
Lately, I was on vacation in the French Soutwhest region called "Bassin d'Arcachon", a beautiful place you should visit
The local food is good, especially if you like Fish !
A beautiful region with mesmerizing landscapes (Dunes du pilat, Cap ferret)
The downwtown farmer's market, the "Halle Baltard" which I recommend
Place des Marquises
Who can resist a Pistachio Ice Cream while walking on the beach front?? I couldn't !!
The Pistachio Ice Cream that I tasted here was fabulous !
About this recipe
Quality Pistachio Ice Cream is hard to find and I am sharing here a recipe from Top French Pastry Chef Pierre Hermé that you will enjoy !
An Ice Cream that is a pure bliss : no food coloring, and real ingredients !
I stopped buying pistachio ice creams from supermarkets : they are bland and their color is often not too appealing...
But this Ice Cream is different ! You will love it !
Source of the recipe
This is a recipe that I found in Pierre Hermé's book "Secrets Gourmands"
A must-read book if you love French pastry!
My dog and I spent hours on it last Saturday...
The recipe is on page 146
Modifications to the original recipe
I modified only a few things...
● I use ½ Cup or 100 g of Pistachio Paste instead of 70 g ( 3 oz )
The toasted pistachios
Hermé recommends cutting and then roasting the Pistachios (½ Cup or 50 g) in the oven ( something I don't roast... )
The Ice Cream Mix
You may find pistachio paste in specialized stores, but the best way to enjoy your own pastries is to make the paste yourself
1. Bring the Whole Milk (2 ¼ Cups or 500 g) and the Cream (½ Cup or 100 g) to a boil then reduce the heat
2. Add in the Pistachio Paste (½ Cup or 100 g) and stir
3. Add in the Glucose syrup (1 Tablespoon or 25 g) and stir
4. Remove from the heat and cover with a plastic wrap for 15 minutes
5. In a bowl, whisk the Egg Yolks (6) and the Sugar (½ Cup or 100 g)
6. After 15 minutes, pour the milk (in the saucepan) into the bowl and mix
7. Then, pour the mixture into the saucepan
8. Cook on low heat
9. Keep stirring with a rubber spatula to avoid lumps
10. Check the temperature and when the temperature reaches 185 °F / 84 °C remove from the heat
11. Transfer the cream to a bowl
12. Add in the Pistachios (½ Cup or 50 g)
13. Wrap airtight
14. Place into the refrigerator for at least 4 hours
There are several ice cream makers that you will need to chose from :
Ice Cream Maker with a Freezer Bowl : This ice cream maker has a special bowl, a container that goes into the freezer overnight. Once it's frozen, you put it in your ice cream maker, add your mix, and let the machine stir them until the ice cream is ready.
Ice Cream Maker with a Compressor : This top of the line ice cream maker chills using a compressor. You don't need neither ice nor bowl : you don't need to remember to freeze anything overnight; when you're ready to make ice cream, just add your ingredients and go
If you are using like me an Ice Cream Maker with a Freezer Bowl, you need to place the bowl and the plastic over into the freezer for a few hours
15. Also, clean and dry the container that will store the ice cream when done, and chill in the freezer until you are done preparing your ice cream or sorbet
16. Pour the chilled cream into your ice-cream maker
At first, the mix is liquid, but gradually, it thickens
In summer, I cover the ice cream maker with aluminium foil
17. At first, the cream is liquid
18. After 10/15 minutes, the cream thickens
19. After 30 minutes (or sooner depending on your device), you get the ice-cream !
Churn... churn... churn... and observe the mix getting thicker and thicker
20. Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours
Enjoy this ice cream !!