A great recipe from Pastry Master Pierre Hermé, for a creamy custard based Creme brulée and Pistachio lovers
About this recipe
Here's an original crème brulée with pistachio flavor that I loved instantly
As a result I kept eating Crema Catalanas and not Creme Brulées, until the day I stumbled on a recipe from Pierre Hermé and I just fell in love with it.
Thanks to this recipe, I have now switched back to Creme Brulées !
Source of the recipe
This is a recipe that I found in Pierre Hermé's book "Plaisirs sucrés".
Be aware that lots of blogs mention this recipe, but with mistakes. I am giving you the authentic one here!
To purchase online, see HERE
The recipe is on page 16
Modifications to the original recipe
● I add Pistachio Paste instead of grinding pistachios (makes it easier)
I am using the Pistachio Paste (½ Cup or 100 g) instead of grinding pistachios, it's so easier !
If you live in the states, pistachio pastes can be purchased online easily.
If you live in Los Angeles, check the Surfas stores
You may find pistachio paste in specialized stores, but the best way to enjoy your own pastries is to make the paste yourself
1. I a mixing bowl, whisk together the Egg Yolks (3) and the Sugar (⅓ Cup or 80 g)
2. In a saucepan, warm : the Pistachio Paste (½ Cup or 100 g), the Almond Extract (2 drops), the Milk (1 Cup or 250 g) and the Whipping Cream (1 Cup or 250 g)
3. My Pistachio Paste was too compact and I had to mix it using a hand blender
4. Bring to a boil
5. Pour the hot liquid onto the eggs/sugar mixture
6. Whisk until smooth
7. Strain the mixture into a bowl
8. I find it more convenient to use a measuring cup with spout
9. For creme brulées, the typical serving containers are terra cotta ramekins
11. Hermé doesn't mention to use the traditional roasting tray with hot water, that is so simpler !
12. Place in the oven and bake at 245 °F / 120 °C
13. While it's baking, shake one ramekin and check the center : let them bake until they are barely softly set (almost liquid)
14. Take the ramekins out, let them cool down at room temperature.
Placing the ramekins in the fridge to cool completely for at least 2 hours. This can even be done overnight without affecting the texture.
15. You will need a torch which is the best method.
Otherwise, you can use the broiler of your oven
16. Take the ramekins out of your fridge
17. Spread evenly some Sugar, evenly on the top of each ramekin, using a spoon or a strainer
18. Using the torch, melt the sugar and form a crispy top
19. You may also use the broiler
20. This is a nice crispy top !
21. Hermé didn't mention it, but I like to add some crushed raw unsalted Pistachios
The contrast between the cold custard and the warm caramel is what makes this dessert so irresistable !
Try this recipe and share it with friends and family !!