A delicious and refreshing Ice Cream
About this recipe
...and that may shock you as well when you taste it : soooooo refreshing and tasty ! If you thought this is the kind of ice cream that only kids may enjoy, you will be surprised to see that the whole family loves it !
We used to have an ice-cream maker that we made sure was working every day...
And day after day, Patricia and I used to try any flavor
Until this day when we ran out if ideas, and so, we decided to pour Coke in the ice cream mix
And what a surprise ! It was so refreshing and tasty !!
And not only WE loved it, but our friends, then the neighborhood, then the whole town heard about this Coca-Cola Ice Cream and tasted it. Everybody was asking for it !
Patricia was reminding me of this ice cream recently, and as summer is finally coming here in California, I decided to try it again : this is the recipe that I am showing you today !
1. Cook in a saucepan the Whipping Cream (2 ¼ Cups or 500 g), on low heat
2. In a mixing bowl, beat the Egg Yolks (4) and the Sugar (2 Tablespoons or 30 g)
3. Pour in the Whipping Cream onto the bowl and mix with a wire whip
4. Transfer to the saucepan
5. Cook on low heat
6. Keep stirring to avoid lumps
7. Check the temperature : stir until the temperature reaches 180 °F / 83 °C
8. Transfer right away to a clean bowl
9. Wrap airtight
10. Let cool down for 30 minutes at room temperature then for 1 hour in the fridge
The Coca-Cola Reduction
11. To make the reduction (which concentrates the coca-cola flavor) :
12. Pour the Cola (Coca Cola or Pepsi) (4 ½ Cups or 1 Liter) into a saucepan and cook on medium/high heat
13. Cook until the quantity of liquid has reduced until you get 400 Milliliters : you should get less than half of the initial volume
14. Transfer onto a clean bowl and let cool down at room temperature for 1 hour
15. Place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours
The Ice Cream Mix
16. Once everything has cooled down, you just need to whisk the custard and the coca-cola reduction together
17. If you observe lumps, mix with a immersion blender (sometimes called 'hand blender')
There are several ice cream makers that you will need to chose from :
Ice Cream Maker with a Freezer Bowl : This ice cream maker has a special bowl, a container that goes into the freezer overnight. Once it's frozen, you put it in your ice cream maker, add your mix, and let the machine stir them until the ice cream is ready.
Ice Cream Maker with a Compressor : This top of the line ice cream maker chills using a compressor. You don't need neither ice nor bowl : you don't need to remember to freeze anything overnight; when you're ready to make ice cream, just add your ingredients and go
If you are using like me an Ice Cream Maker with a Freezer Bowl, you need to place the bowl and the plastic over into the freezer for a few hours
18. Also, clean and dry the container that will store the ice cream when done, and chill in the freezer until you are done preparing your ice cream or sorbet
19. Pour in the mix onto your ice-cream maker
At first, the mix is liquid, but gradually, it thickens
In summer, I cover the ice cream maker with aluminium foil
20. First, the mix is liquid
21. After 10/15 minutes, the liquid thickens
22. After 30 minutes (or sooner depending on your device), you get the ice-cream !
Churn... churn... churn... and observe the mix getting thicker and thicker
23. Transfer the ice-cream onto a container (I am using a glass container, Pyrex)
24. Place it in the freezer for 2 hours, ideally overnight
How to serve
25. To make the whole experience even more fun, I use candies (Haribo found at CVS, or Walgreens)
26. I chose to scoop little balls with a melon baller