Qin’s Chinese Chicken Barbecue
About this recipe
Summertime means barbecue in my backyard !
Source of the recipe
I've got this recipe since I met my dear Chinese friend Qin, a lovely girl who was a work colleague as I decided to take an engineering job in Germany, Baden Wurtemberg, south of Stuttgart.
I am not going to lie : my years in Germany were miserable. I'm not a German hater, I like their discipline, but honestly, between the cold weather, the miserable local cuisine, and sometimes cold German people (not all of them I have to say), my life was not as good as my life in California.
However, in this cold Germany, I met a warm Chinese Sun, my friend Qin, who seemed even more desperate to be in Germany.
My friend Qin taught me how she was making her Chinese BBQ Chicken, and not only were they delicious, they were also so simple to prepare !
Who would have thought that a Chinese friend would teach me great barbecues in... Germany ??
And since I have the recipe, I keep BBQ'ig those Chicken, but also other meats like Porc, and it's a delight that my guest love everytime
Modifications to the original recipe
I modified only a few things...
● Qin used to add some Maltose, but not too easy to find, so I converted the recipe with Honey
I urge you to buy Chinese ingredients in an Asian supermarket, and not at your local store. Not only it is one secret that will make your recipe taste really good like in restaurants, but it is also often cheaper...
In the States, it has become quite easy to find Asian stores. In California, it's so easy we have even Chinese chains like 99 Ranch markets.
99 Ranch Market
345 E Main St
The Hoisin Sauce is used in China for barbecues
The Soy Sauce is an ingredient you can find in any supermarket
However, I like to purchase this "mushroom soy sauce" from the brand "Healthy Boy", I find it really tastier than any other sauce.
The Rice Vinegar is obtained by fermentation of rice alcohol. You need to buy it from an Asian store, or over the internet
You will find several colors at the supermarket. If you can, buy a red one which will give a fragrant color to the meat
My brand is "Huang Chiew"
Sesame Oil can be easily found in supermarkets
the 5 Spices Powder is a fine powder that adds a lot of Chinese flavor, I would not skip that one, as it adds a fine taste to the recipe!
Let's get started!
1. For the meat, I take Chicken Thighs (1 ¾lbs or 800 g), but you may use other meats. I tried this recipe with Pork, and that worked beautifully as well
2. Cut the Chicken Thighs (1 ¾lbs or 800 g)
3. Slice in half the Garlic Cloves (4)
4. Rub the Chicken Thighs (1 ¾lbs or 800 g) with the Garlic Cloves
5. The sauce is so simple to make ! Simply mix in a bowl: the Honey (6 tablespoons), the Hoisin Sauce (3 tablespoons), the Soy Sauce (3 tablespoons), the Rice Vinegar (2 tablespoons), the Sesame Oil (1 tablespoon) and the 5 Spices Powder (1 teaspoon)
6. Peel and grate some Ginger Root
7. To peel the Ginger Root, simply use a spoon, not a peeler ! Then grate it, or even use a small food processor like this one
8. Combine everything in a large bowl
9. Start to smell delish !
10. Add in the the Chicken Thighs (1 ¾lbs or 800 g) and mix with your hands or with a fork, and make sure the meat is entirely coated with the marinade sauce
11. Cover and marinate overnight in the fridge, 4 hours at least! Time is your secret to master marinades...
12. If you can, toss the meat from time to time
13. Time to cook ! 1 hour before cooking, take the meat out of the fridge so it is tempered by the time you cook
14. Grill over direct heat until browned
15. You may use an oven, even if you will get better results with a barbecue
16. You may use a bit of oil, in that case choose Sesame Oil
17. In fact, I use a barbecue griddle that makes it easier to keep my barbecue clean. Most griddles go to the dishwasher
18. After a few minutes, flip the meat
19. Do not worry about the dark spots, they come from the sugar in the sauce that caramelizes
20. Press hard on the meat to extract the juice to fully cook the meat
21. While the meat cooks, the marinade dries up: Coat the meat with extra marinade with a brush
22. Beautiful colors, he?
Cutting the meat
23. Chinese cooks cut the meat before it's served
24. Small cuts make it more convenient to eat with chopsticks !
A real bliss !
The meat is so tender and tasty. One of my favorite BBQ recipes