Paul Bocuse’s Boeuf Bourguignon
About this recipe
If you visited France, you must have tasted Boeuf Bourguignon in restaurants : that's a favorite dish among French people and tourists
A beef stew marinated with herbs, vegetables and red wine which makes it delicious, intense and unique
I tried multiple recipes, and as often, Chef Paul Bocuse's recipe is one of the best
I also give you a bunch of helpful advice... that I understood over the years to perfect this French dish. A way to remember my native country, when I feel a bit lost and too far away from France, in Los Angeles, my new home...
Source of the recipe
The recipe is on page 258
Modifications to the original recipe
I modified a few things...
● In his recipe, Paul Bocuse uses pearl onions, which I don't like... I use instead Shallots
● I added Cognac or Brandy (¼ Cup or 60 g)
● I also added Orange Peel (1), something that modern chefs add in their boeuf bourguignon...
● I also added Button Mushrooms...
How to master the best Burgundy Beef
To get the best Boeuf Bourguignon, you need to serve something very tasty, with balanced tastes between the wine, the meat and the vegetables. The balance is hard to master, but if you follow the recipe, you will get it. You will need of course a premium quality meat : French chefs recommend "gîte à la noix, macreuse, ou paleron" : Thick Flank, Shoulder. Do not get stingy on the price of the meat !
Also, you need to serve a meat that is "falling off the bones" (even if there is no bone !) : What I mean is that the meat must be so tender that you don't need a knife to cut it : it almost melts in our mouth. To get this, you will need to cook for a long time, on a very low heat. You will also need to be patient, and to not eat the dish after cooking, Instead, you will need to refrigerate a few hours, then cook again, then refrigerate, then finally cook : that way, the tastes develop, and the meat becomes even more tender : While it seats in the fridge, the wine sauce continues to "break" the tissues of the meat.
1. As I told you earlier, I use Shallots (6), whereas Bocuse uses 12 pearl onions
2. Peel and dice the Shallots (6)
3. Melt the Butter (¼ Cup or 60 g) in a cast-iron pot (Dutch Oven)
4. Cook the Shallots (6) over moderate hear
5. Add the Bacon (⅔ Cup or 125 g) and cook 3 minutes
6. Salt and pepper the Beef
7. add the meat, and brown over high heat on all sides
8. Peel the Carrots (4) and cut them into sticks of 2" (or 5 cm)
9. Wash the Celery Stalks (2), remove the outer fibers
10. Add to the cast-iron pot (Dutch Oven)
11. In a spice bag, insert the Sprig Thyme (1), the Laurel (Bay) leaf (1), the Parsley Sprigs (4), the Peppercorns (10), and seal the bag
12. Add to the cast-iron pot (Dutch Oven)
13. Add the Salt (1 pinch)
14. Reduce the heat so that everything simmers gently
15. Simmer for about 30 minutes
16. Lift the Beef (2 ¼ lbs or 1 kg) out of the pot, and set aside
17. Sift Flour (1 tablespoon) in the cast-iron pot (Dutch Oven)
18. Stir in the Tomato Paste (1 tablespoon)
19. Keep stirring
20. Add the Red Wine (4 ¼ Cups or 1 Liter) and the Water (2 ¼ Cups or ½ Liter) little by little
21. For your information... some chefs like Thomas Keller recommend to boil the wine in a saucepan before adding it to the pot (to make it less tanic)
22. Pour in the Cognac or Brandy (¼ Cup or 60 g)
23. Crush the Garlic Cloves (4) and add
24. Add in the Orange Peel (1)
25. Cook until its starts boiling
26. Return the meat to the pot
27. Simmer, on low heat, for 2 hours 30 minutes
28. Do not cook on high heat !!! You need to lower the heat and let it cook a long time...
29. If you see too many big "bubbles", it means you need to lower the heat
30. After the long cooking, remove the pot from the stove and let it cool at room temperature for 2 hours
31. Place in the fridge overnight
The next day
32. The next day, you may scoop out the fat that is now solid and on top of the pot. You can discard all this solidified fat
33. Cook on low heat for 1 hour
34. Add Salt and Pepper if necessary
35. You may cook the Button Mushrooms (some Button Mushrooms) (cut in half) in a bit of butter
36. Serve the meat with juice and the Button Mushrooms (some Button Mushrooms)
A splendid dish !
The meat melts ! You will love this French dish !