Alex Stupak's flour tortillas
About this recipe
If you decided to make your own tacos, why not learn to make Tortillas, your homemade tacos will taste even better!
Of the several kinds of tortillas, the Flour ones are popular in the States
These are also my favorites
Source of the recipe
I got this recipe in the book "Tacos: Recipes and Provocations" by Alex Stupak.
Alex Stupak has become an expert in tacos after opening his restaurant and learning the Mexican cuisine in Mexico.
In his book, Stupak offers recipes "new wave", as he puts it : "to declare that the only good Mexican cuisine is 'authentic' also assumes that the cuisine has ceased evolving"
When I started his Flour Tortilla recipe, I was puzzled at first as his recipe contains Lard
However it looks like that's authentic, as I talked to native Mexicans who reported that they really use Lard for their tortillas
The dough or "masa"
1. Stupak recommends to use a stand mixer (like the usual kitchen aid on the photos) with the paddle attachment, but you may also knead the dough (the "masa") by hand
2. Combine the Flour (1 ⅔ Cup or 240 g), the Lard (¼ Cup or 54 g), the Salt (½ teaspoon) and mix on low speed (number 2) for about 2 minutes
3. Pour in the Water (½ Cup or 120 g) and mix for 1 minute until the dough comes together
4. The danger is to over mix, which would make the dough too elastic : it would become too hard to roll it thinly
5. Place the dough into a bowl and cover it with a wet towel, for about 10 minutes
Make the flour tortilla
You cannot use the tortilla press, even if you want to impress your guests....
6. Grab a handful of dough (about the size of a golf ball) and roll it into a sphere
7. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a 5.9" (or 5 29/32" or 15 cm) circle and 0.07" (or 5/64" or 0.2 cm) thick. If the tortilla is too sticky, you may want to mix again with a tablespoon of flour, but I never needed to do it so you should be fine.
8. If you have a hard time to shape perfect rounds, you can cheat by placing a plate, and cut around the edges with a knife
9. Your tortilla is ready ! it needs to be cooked right away otherwise it would dry fast
Cooking the Tortillas
10. Cook the tortilla on a hot non stick skillet for about 10 seconds
11. If the tortilla puffs you will need to pinch it
12. After 10/15 seconds or so, flip the tortilla for another 5 seconds
Storing the cooked tortillas
13. You may store the cooked tortillas on a plate sitting on a double boiler
14. Stupak mentioned that it's best if you use the tortillas right away. After cooking them, garnish them and serve your tacos, they will taste better when they are freshly cooked.